The high-caliber talent, gorgeous concert venues, relaxed outdoor shows, and cosmopolitan setting conspire to make the Montreal International Jazz Festival one of the world’s best events of its kind (I attended the festival in 2012, after a long absence).
So, then, no surprise here: An onslaught of high-end artists are on tap for this summer’s 35th annual edition of the fest, June 26 to July 6.
Jazzers and others headed to Montreal:
- Newport Festival “Now 60” Band (right): Randy Brecker, Anat Cohen, Larry Grenadier, Karrin Allyson, Mark Whitfield, Clarence Penn, Peter Martin — June 26
- Mike Stern/Bill Evans Band with Tom Kennedy and Steve Smith — June 27
- Cecile McLorin Salvant (winner of the Thelonious Monk Jazz Vocal Competition in 2010)– June 27
- Ben Harper & Charlie Musselwhite — June 28
- Stacey Kent — June 28
- Brad Mehldau, solo — July 1
- Marcus Miller — July 1
- Kenny Garrett Quintet with Vernell Brown, Corcoran Holt, Rudy Bird, and McClenty Hunter — July 1
- The Chieftains with Ry Cooder — July 2