Veteran bassist Ron Carter and young bassist-singer Esperanza Spalding, a Grammy-winning star, grabbed the top spots in this year’s DownBeat Readers Poll.
Carter, an enormously influential double bass master heard on thousands of jazz recordings, a successful solo artist but probably best known for his association with Miles Davis’s second great quintet in the ’60s, was ushered into the Hall of Fame, just beating blues legend B.B. King.
Spalding, a gifted vocalist, upright and electric bassist, and songwriter who has wowed audiences as a leader and as a member of Joe Lovano’s US FIVE band (#14 in the Jazz Group category), won in the categories of Jazz Artist and Jazz Album of the Year, the latter for her pop-infused “Radio Music Society.”
Interestingly, neither won in the two bass categories: Christian McBride won for (double) Bass, while Stanley Clarke, who rode Return to Forever to stardom, won for Electric Bass.
Wayne Shorter, Carter’s old colleague in that Miles band, won in two categories — Soprano Saxophone, and Composer
The more than 17,000 voters in the poll, somewhat surprisingly, honored the Dave Brubeck Quartet in the Jazz Group category, and Big Band honors went to the Maria Schneider Orchestra, whose leader also won for Arranger.
- Trumpet: Wynton Marsalis
- Trombone: Trombone Shorty
- Alto Saxophone: Kenny Garrett
- Tenor Saxophone: Sonny Rollins
- Baritone Saxophone: James Carter
- Clarinet: Anat Cohen
- Flute: Hubert Laws
- Piano: Brad Mehldau
- Keyboard: Herbie Hancock
- Organ: Joey DeFrancesco
- Guitar: Pat Metheny
- Violin: Regina Carter
- Drums: Jack DeJohnette
- Vibes: Gary Burton
- Percussion: Airto Moreira
- Miscellaneous Instrument: Toots Thielemans
- Female Vocalist: Diana Krall
- Record label: Blue Note
- Blues Artist or Group: B.B. King
- Blues Album: Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton, “Play the Blues: Live From Jazz at Lincoln Center”
- Beyond Artist or Group: Robert Glasper
- Beyond Album: Robert Glasper Experiment, “Black Radio”
For more on the poll, including interviews with the winners, get the mag’s December issue or click here.