Sonny Rollins is getting lots of love from critics this year, yet again — and deservedly so. His live Road Shows, Vol.2 (Doxy/Emarcy) was just named Album of the Year in the 6th Annual Jazz Critics Poll.
The winners of the major awards:
- Album of the Year: Sonny Rollins, Road Shows, Vol. 2 (Doxy/Emarcy) Runner-Up: Ambrose Akinmusire, When the Heart Emerges Glistening (Blue Note)
- Reissue: Miles Davis Quintet, Live in Europe 1967: Bootleg Series, Vol. 1 (Sony Legacy) Runner-Up: Julius Hemphill, Dogon A.D. (International Phonograph)
- Vocal: Gretchen Parlato, The Lost and Found (ObliqSound) Runner-Up: Jen Shyu & Mark Dresser, Synastry (Pi)
- Debut: Chris Dingman, Waking Dreams (Between Worlds)Runner-Up: Fabian Almazan Trio, Personalities (Palmetto)
- Latin: Miguel Zenón, Alma Adentro: The Puerto Rican Songbook (Marsalis Music) Runner-Up: David Murray Cuban Ensemble, Plays Nat Cole en Español (Motéma)
Individual critics’ ballots are posted here.